Canvas Boat BagsThis style of canvas bags was originally designed for hauling ice, and some still call them ice bags. Others call them "sail bags", or the traditional "Ratsey bags".
- L.L. Bean Boat and Tote Bags <http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/677>
- Nobby Clothes Shop "Nantucket" Canvas Boat Bags (in 30 ounce canvas with reinforced seams) <http://nobbyshop.com/collections/accessories/products/nobby-shop-boat-bags>
- Lands' End Offers Canvas Totes, but they are made in China <http://www.landsend.com/shop/-/N-jnkZg31>
- F.L. Woods offers their Marblehead Greens <http://www.flwoods.com/product/medium-tote>
Alternative types of bags include:
- Sail Bags - Made in Maine from recycled sails <http://seabags.com/pocketed-anchor-tote.html>
The L.L. Bean Boat and ToteL.L. Bean sells a popular version of the iconic bag. These are tough bags, made of 24oz cotton canvas, with nylon double-stitched seams, and in Brunswick, Maine.
- L.L. Bean Boat and Tote <http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/677>
|The zip-top versions are good for tossing from boat to boat.|
|Good For Travel|
|Size Small, shown above and below works well for a pocketbook.|
Uses For L.L. Bean Boat and TotesThere are so many uses for these bags. Some uses include:
- As Luggage for Car Travel
- As a Pocketbook
- As Home Storage
- For the Grocery Store/ Markets
- For Hauling Firewood
- For Boat Re-Supply
- As a Baby Bag
- For Permanent Car Storage
- For Garden Tools
- For Gifts
|A thirty year old bag now used for wood.|
|Storage (Extra Large, Extra Large, and Large)|
Buying OptionsMany buy them in all four of the sizes that they offer, some with open tops and some with zip tops. They offer bags with long handles as well (necessary if you want to wear them over your shoulder), but most have the regular handles.
Twice a year L.L. Bean comes out with a handful of seasonal colors in addition to their "staple" colors, which include Blue (Navy), Dark Green, and Red.
|Bags in size Small - some with open tops and some with zip-tops, all with regular handles.|
How to Clean the L.L. Bean Boat and Totes and Other Canvas Boat BagsMost of the time one only has to spot-clean them with kitchen soap and a moderately abrasive scrubbing tool. Then rinse it under the faucet and put it in the sun to dry.
The natural colored canvas gets a bit discolored when wet, but dries clear most of the time, although not always. Eventually, when they get too dirty to appear in public one can relegate them to a new position such as wood hauling.
|Many use size Medium as well for a pocketbook or handbag.|
|This could more easily be done in the bathtub, but there wouldn't be as many ducks.|
A Good, Durable Bag
|Stretching the definition of "monogram" even further.|