Many ask for a list of the absolute, core TDP items for building out the base for a classic casual wardrobe. It is not complete (obviously), but a good place to start.
Of course, androgyny plays a role, with just a few items specifically for Men (M) or Women (W).
These items can be dressed up or down, personalized with other items, and often come in both inexpensive and high-end versions:
- Shirts: Oxfords: Solids (White and Blue) and University Stripes; Polo Shirts; Turtlenecks (W); Tattersall (M); Flannel; Seersucker
- Pants: Khakis; Nantucket Reds for summer; Corduroys for cooler weather
- Sweaters: Navy Cotton Crewneck; Cotton Cable; Navy Wool Crewneck; Cardigans(W); Norwegian Crewneck
- Shoes: Quoddy Boat Shoes; Sperry Top-Siders; L.L. Bean Camp Mocs; Bucks (M); Bluchers; Bean Boots for winter
- Belts: D-Ring Motif Belt (W); Tab & Buckle Belt (M)
- Pocketbook (W): Vintage Vera Bradley or small L.L. Bean Boat and Tote
- Outerwear: Rain Slicker (can double as a wind-breaker), Patagonia Fleece
- Jackets: Tweed (M), Navy Blazer (M), Quilted